Senin, 19 Januari 2009

Meet Marshall Atkinson: LinkedIn T-Shirt Professionals Group Member

I'm excited to introduce the members of the LinkedIn T-Shirt Professionals Group. Watch for more member profiles as members reveal valuable secrets, share their expertise, and offer useful advice.



•Marshall Atkinson
•Vice President of Operations, T-Formation
www.TFormation.com

What segment of the T-shirt industry do you work in?

"T-Formation is a full service production facility. We print for Fortune 500 clients, the ASI industry, contract printing for other printers, and as well as Mom & Pop companies throughout the United States. We’re the national apparel vendor for several major philanthropies, and we also print hot market work for Nike, Adidas & Vanity Fair. TF offers the complete line up of services….from sourcing the blanks, art creation, printing or embroidery, polybagging, hangtagging, bulk folding, relabeling, fulfillment & drop shipping. Our staff of experts can make it happen for you."


Tell us about your company and your role in it:


"I’m Vice President of Operations. My role is the “macro” view of the company and to make sure that all of our departments are working together in harmony and as efficiently as possible. My major initiatives include Lean and efficiency building, our new SGP project (Sustainable Green Partnership) and forward strategic planning."

What makes you/your company remarkable?

"T-Formation is unique because what we bring to the table. Emphasis on customer service. Outstanding creative talent. Value added performance for our clients."


Tell us about your T-shirt expertise and areas of interest.


"I was art director for TF for 14 years before moving into my role as VP. I feel that my organizational, team building and communication skills have made me a key member of the senior management team at TF. I like starting and building projects that add value to the company…or finding better and more efficient methods of doing the same task. There’s always a better way to do something…and it’s my mission to discover that aspect and bring it to the surface."


How did you get your start in the T-shirt industry?


"In 1992 I was working on a Masters degree in architecture at FAMU and started my own design firm catering to fraternities and sororities at Florida State University. This was before computers, so everything was drawn & designed by hand…and I used those Lettraset press-on type. (Talk about SLOW.) T-Formation was my printer. They wanted to make the switch from using a stat-camera to computers…and hired me as the new art director. I made the jump and never looked back."


From where do you draw your inspiration? Motivation? Ideas?


"We research constantly….online, at trade shows. Talking to people, whether they are your vendors or your clients produces great results. Communication is the key to having the pulse of the industry. You can’t just sit back and let it come to you."


What are some challenges you currently face or have overcome in your career? Lessons learned?

"Follow up. Don’t assume that someone has done something if it’s the answer is still “missing”…as maybe the fax didn’t go through, they typed in the wrong e-mail address, etc. Nobody has ever been shot by calling up and verifying something."


What accomplishments are you most proud of?

"Helping to build TF into the company it is now. There’s a lot of hard work, sweat and team effort that’s gone into it. When I started with TF it was in a strip mall garage…and we kept expanding slowly through the years with our capacity. We’re certainly not the biggest printer in the world…but we may just be one of the hardest working."

Impressions Magazine lists TFormation as #10 printer in the United States by volume, 2008

What advice would you offer to someone new to the industry? Any tips or trade “secrets” you want to share?

"Research your market niche. There are so many avenues that you can pursue that are related to t-shirts…from collegiate to surf, from corporate to retail. All of them buy differently, sell differently, use different art and print techniques, etc. Become an expert on what you are trying to do. Once you know the market, go out and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Those are the opportunities to learn. Start small, and build relationships as you grow. Don’t ever think that this industry is easy."


What is something unique that you can contribute to the LinkedIn T-shirt Professionals group?

"I have a wealth of industry knowledge that I’ve built up over the years. Unless it’s something that I can’t share due to company or trade-secret reasons, I’ll be happy to help most anyone."

What are you looking to find in the LinkedIn T-Shirt Professionals group? What types of people do you want to connect with?

"I see LI as an opportunity to “meet” people with like interests…sort of like if we were all in the same room at a party or chamber of commerce breakfast. I’ll help you, you’ll help me sort of thing. It’s all about improving your knowledge base. There is also an opportunity to make sales connections too…that has happened from LI already and I’d like to find more opportunities if I can."



Do you have an experience with the LinkedIn T-Shirt Professionals group you’d like to share? Have you made some valuable connections?


"I don’t connect with everyone, just those that I think that I can find value with somehow. Whether it’s a sales opportunity, or a chance to learn something…that’s what I’m looking for."

Are there any favorite online resources you’d like to share?

"I Google everything."

Is there anything else you want the world to know about you or your company?

"We’d love to quote on your next project."

----------------------------------------------
Members are welcome to complete the interview and will each be featured here for one week. If you are a T-Shirt Professional looking to make new business connections, join LinkedIn and look us up for details!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...