Minggu, 06 Agustus 2006

Tip: Adding New Sections to your CafePress Shop

BusyBodies is a big (and growing) store. When I first joined CafePress in 2003 I had to manually add my design to one product at a time, type in each description individually, type in my price mark-up, and type in my product name. Don't even try to do the math...I spent hundreds of hours building my shop! Lucky for all of us CafePress shopkeepers today, they have added a wonderful "bulk changes" feature. However, there still isn't a clear cut, click-of-the-button way to add a section quickly with images sized appropriately with the bulk changes tools. With a little creative gumption there is a way to do this using their existing tools.

How do I add new sections to my shop?

Create a hidden product import section
First of all, I created a hidden section that I titled "all products import." In this section I hand picked products I wanted to feature throughout my store. I then arranged these items carefully, putting the white T-shirt at the top, along with other best sellers (always put the best selling products at the top).

IMPORTANT: I chose a design and applied it to the front of all my products. I then went through the section and sized it appropriately on each product (full size on shirts, smaller on buttons, etc.). Since I purposely make all of my new BusyBodies designs 8"x 10" sizing is important for the product import section.

I added a generic title and a generic description "Makes a great gift." I priced everything appropriately and then made sure to add my logo and website to the backs of all shirts for added brand recognition.

Upload new image
Back to adding that new design... I then upload my design, tag it, categorize it and go to my "manage products and sections" area.

Create new section
I choose which category I want to add my design to and click "create a new section." Immediately after creating the new section I hide it until it's finished.

Import products
While in my new empty section I click on the "import" button. This takes me to all of my sections of all of my stores. I click on the "All products import" section. I then see all of the products I had created in this section. I choose "select all" and hit "import." Now my section is filled with products.

Swap out the old image for a new one
I then click "select all" and "change image." I swap out the existing image with my new uploaded image and when applied, the new image is perfectly sized on all products.

Bulk changes and categorization for the marketplace
Now all I have to do is do bulk changes to my title & description. Once that is complete I categorize, title, and describe that section, click "show" so it's visible in my shop and my new section is ready. No need to resize or price anything!

Do you have another method of adding sections? If so, please share in the comments!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...